St Michael’s Parish Church is part of Holyford Mission Community within the Church of England Diocese of Exeter.
The first known Rector was Roger de Hamtone, instituted June 27th, 1204. He is not included in the list of Rectors in the porch but the record of his existence indicates an earlier church than the present one, which dates from the early 15th century. No trace of the former building remains.
The oldest part of the current building is the early 15th century tower. Five of its bells date from 1785 when they were cast by Thomas Bilbie of Cullompton to replace the original three. In 1896 the bells were rehung in a new oak frame and a treble was added. Bell-ringing continues today as part Musbury’s village life.
Inside the church, an important memorial built in renaissance style in 1611 and extended about 1646, shows three pairs of kneeling figures. These represent three generations of the Drake family and their wives who died in the period 1558-1643.
The first recorded appointment of a priest for St Michael’s is 1260. Parish Registers going back to 1622 are held in the Devon Record Office. A short history of Musbury Church is available in the church.
Today’s church is managed by the Parochial Church Council or PCC, whose members work with the Rector to promote the mission of the Church in its parish. The PCC is also responsible for the financial affairs of the Church and the care and maintenance of the church fabric and its contents.
Click for details of services at St Michael’s Church, Musbury.
The PCC also produces the quarterly Musbury Parish News, which is distributed free to all households in the parish and covers news of all Musbury’s activities, secular and pastoral (and is now available on this website).
Evangelical Chapel (now closed)
The Chapel has been a landmark in the area for 150 years, Walter Wills, a local farmer’s son who became a well-known preacher and Bible teacher, used to stand outside the Post Office and address the local people who shared his faith. His father encouraged him to build the chapel which was finished in 1859. In front of the chapel is the grave and tombstone of Mr Wills Sr.
The chapel closed down in 2013, and is now a private residence.